Tuesday 13 November 2012

Mother



 Def’n: a woman who has a child. (Thank you Encarta Dictionary for your short and sweet definition!)

Sounds simple, doesn't it? Straight forward even. 

Mother, woman, wife, daughter, sister, friend and what about self? Somewhere in there I’m sure. Though defined by these others? It’d be impossible for it not to be.

This woman, is my mother.  And beside her, is her mother. 


Their histories are hard and full and sometimes crazy. Even now, at 28, I refuse to be blown here and there. I’ve taken a stand to write my own history. And its already full of the good, the bad and the ugly. I am about to embark on motherhood. I focus on my mother and my grandmother. These women, have battled the world, raised children, married, divorced, remarried etc while forging careers.

They are fierce.

And they are loving.

And they are kind.

And they are good.

And we were given to each other by the omniscient God.

And He knew what our lives would be, and what our lives would require. And this was His plan.

And what is His plan for my child? At 35 weeks, the prospect (insert “gift”, “responsibility”, “joy” et al) of mothering is overwhelming. Examples of poor mothers are everywhere to be seen. And yet, surely, I will do the best I can with the knowledge I have. Will I be judged as a poor mother? Will I seek self more so than God-fearing mothering, God-loving wife, God-honouring sister and daughter? My legacy starts now as I write this next chapter.  

May God give me grace and wisdom. May my son look at his mother and be thankful for her. May my love be as it should and my actions be right, despite my intentions. For our intentions can be of good heart but our actions born of worldly fear and wisdom.  May my love be ruled by faith and not by fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment