Thursday 27 September 2012

A child's name

I am amazed by the buzz that is created around the name of a new..well...creation! The excitement (and pressure) in the name revealed, the apprehension of new parents on whether or not their selection will be applauded, the frustration over the seeming right everyone takes in weighing in with their opinions. James and I actually find the entire thing, quite....odd.

Of course we feel that the name should sound right, feel right, suit us, suit the middle name (and surname).
Of course we care if the name suits our son.
Of course we appreciate that others get excited about what we'll name our baby, what this little creation will come to be known as - an entire identity wrapped up in a few letters. Until he matures and forms his own identity that is.

Its just that, we find the entire process quite surreal. We aren't particularly phased over other's opinions in this regard. We have two options that we both love and are trying to decide on. My sister-in-law (English) is on the same name-team as my friends who are English. My family (South Africans) are on the other name-team. James and I are actually, and this may sound awful, quite indifferent. We like both. We think both names work and both names will suit this new little Dawson.

We're so indifferent that we just laugh amidst cries of:
"noooo, you can't name him that" and,
"noooo, I'll just call him this" and, one of our favourites,
"that's the name of a bus driver" (what is wrong with being a bus driver anyhow?!)

We've even entertained the idea of choosing a false name, that we don't particularly care for, just to give everyone something to talk about. Since they enjoy talking about it so much! But that requires too much energy and I'm really the one with the wicked sense of humour, not James. He wouldn't be able to maintain the façade.

So we wait, until we're ready or have a clear decision between us on whether or not we'll name our wonderful baby Oscar James Dawson or Henry James Dawson. Hence, Baby OH. But for now, Baby OH works just fine.




                                                   

4 comments:

  1. .....I actually do also like both names! I don't think I expected you to 'reveal' your name options! (I dont know why!)
    People say that you know your babies name once you see them...so I'm sure the choice will be easy 'on the day'!

    But I am liking Baby OH.....can you not stick with this?!?!!?!? Haha!

    (I am liking the wicked side....just start throwing a few 'oddball' names into the mix...at least it will divert the convo from Oscar and Henry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like both too! I have heard people say that - though, when I look at newborns, I dont see how people can make that decision on the spot! I've also heard of people that take days to decide because they thought they'd just "know".

      Yeah, baby OH is working for us right now. The truth is, with James' training, and us still not actually LIVING in the house cos we're trying to get it ready, the name is important, but on the periphery. Once James gets home at the start of December we can decide. Plenty-o-time yet!

      Delete
  2. I love BOTH names. Barry and I were set on naming our daugter, Eden. But when she was born, I looked at her and told Barry that her name was "Gabrielle". How could he argue? Who would attempt to argue with a woman after she has laboured in love for her child? I will never forget the look on his face when he said, "Ok."

    But now when he looks at her, he says that her name is and will always be a perfect fit.

    Just like your baby. He will have the perfect name - Whatever it is.


    xo

    P.S. You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo Great comment KJoy. It'd be so funny if we ended up naming him something completely different. I love that Barry's only response was "OK", though, you're the 2nd friend I have that named their newborn something other than they'd decided on! What if my uber-emotional, exhausted, post-labour state I name him something totally ridiculous?!

      Delete