Wednesday 5 September 2012

Impromptu hospital visit

I realise how silly this post will sound, considering that I posted my 24week update on Monday. I hit the 24week mark on Saturday, I also felt movement on Saturday. Bango. Today is Wednesday and as of this morning, I had felt no movement since Saturday. I had assumed that it was related to the stress and busyness of our days, but I did start to feel concerned when I allowed the thoughts to mull over in my mind. The possibility of being RH negative, the possibility that it could affect this pregnancy (though its highly unlikely), the advice of the OB to attend the Labour Assessment ward 2 weeks ago, etc etc.

I was very unwilling to go to the hospital today, but my sister-in-law was quite kind in offering to sit and wait with me for an appointment. In fact, she really convinced me to go. And I'm very grateful for her grace in the situation. So we parked at the hospital, had some lunch - priorities! - and found our way to the ward. The attending nurse was a bit put-out at having to do an assessment on a "little 24week old baby" since it can be quite tough. I was quite apologetic, but after realising that I wasn't one of those pregnant women (you know the type, neurotic etc) she was quite reassuring. Belly band and monitor attached, baby OH's little heart beating well and infrequent whooshing quelled any fears. There is in fact lots of movement, I'm just not able to distinguish it well enough.

I'm pleased to have made the trip for 2 reasons:

1. My fears are now put aside, and I have some "relax and pay attention to your body" homework to focus my uncertainties on. This is good for someone who is a do-er.

2. My sister-in-law got to hear baby OH's heartbeat and I think, though I can't be sure, that I saw her heart melt a little. She talked to baby OH about the pet dog, about timbits and about loving cake. And shushed me when I interrupted her attempt to get him to move in response to her voice. I'm glad she's bonding with him. This little guy is going to be so so loved.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got it checked out, Tam. I was fairly certain that you're just so busy that you haven't really "noticed" the movement. I knew there had to be lots of movement by now, but it is so slight sometimes. You just have a chill baby. :)
    So glad Nat is bonding with baby OH. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete