Sunday 30 September 2012

28


This is what I see when I look down. I don't even see my feet anymore unless I lean forward. I am overwhelmed by the prospect of being 7 months along. My body seems to just be on a course of its own. My belly is rounder, bigger, higher and heavier. Baby OH has been kicking the daylights out of my upper right ribs and occasionally, my bladder, for the past week. It mostly happens when I'm sitting down so perhaps it's nature's way of ensuring that I don't sit around too much and remain as active as possible.

Which would make sense, considering the propensity to gain weight, lose flexibility and get generally lazy as the pregnancy progresses. I stepped on the scale at the gym this week (after a 2 week hiatus) and was appalled to see that I have now gained a solid 12lbs. Let's just say that the cross-trainer was about to be beasted. I know what the statistics say, and I know what North American doctors say. But when you consider the weight of the child, the water retention and all the other bits (which I'm still a bit squeamish about), there really is no health benefit to gaining 2lbs per week. On a 5'3 frame, that kind of weight gain will cause shortness in breath, greater difficulty in exercising and less flexibility. Which will make delivery more difficult as well as looking after Baby OH once we get home. I still don't quite understand why North American doctors and pregnancy education has a "one-size fits all" guideline for weight gain for all women of different heights, starting weights, activity levels, metabolic differences et al.
Rant complete.

This week has been extremely eye-opening in terms of how I am starting to be limited by this pregnancy. While on my hands and knees attempting to scrub clean the bathroom and kitchen floors in the new house, I had quite a bit of pain in my abdomen. I also huffed and puffed as if I was running an 8miler.
Note to self: do not squash baby.

At the end of the week, I attempted to give myself a lovely pedicure (something I do every 2-3 weeks). Not only did I find that I was less agile (thank you 2 week gym hiatus) but I simply couldn't reach my toes properly. My pedi does not look amazing.
2nd note to self: save for pedicures.

Throughout the week, my hormones and emotions have finally won the battle over reason. I cried 4 times. Hard. I cried because I missed my husband. I cried because I felt incapable of cleaning my own house properly. I cried because the house was empty and quiet. And then I cried this morning, in anticipation of James going back to training this evening. In fact, mentioning it in this blog is making me feel teary again.
3rd note to self: buy tissues.

And so, I forge forward into my next trimester. The reality of the pregnancy is no longer something I can put off. Concerns over my RhoGAM shot on Tuesday, my new limited movement, my emotional sensitivity and my complete lack of knowledge over the entire labour and delivery process is starting to weigh on my mind. I'm putting together my to-do list for next week to prepare for Thanksgiving at ours, my dear friend Sarah's visit the week after and the ongoing house project. I'll have to schedule some time for self-education this week as well.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I like the rant! I have minimal knowledge (well none really!)about how much weight you should or shouldn't gain while pregnant. I know you will have studied this in DEPTH! But as long as you are eating healthy, keeping active and not overdoing things (like scrubbing floors!) then you and your baby will be a million times healthier than the majority of babies that are born these days (again no fact or reference for this comment, but I'm sure it must be true!).

    Don't make a list of things YOU need to do before I come to visit....but make a list of all the things you want ME to do while I am there! (I am great at cleaning, painting, gardening, cooking, baking and generally 'doing'! so take advantage of my few skills!).

    Oh, and we could go for a pedi.....between gyming and lunching....real ladies of leisure.....for one afternoon at least! Haha!

    ReplyDelete