Monday 26 November 2012

36 (or there abouts)

I should be rejoicing being at 36 weeks, but I'm not. I've caught a cold (I sound worse than I feel) and I'm a tiny bit overwhelmed by how unprepared I (still) am for Baby OH's arrival.

I had my first stereotypical irrational-pregnant-woman-response-to-a-stranger experience last week. A sales staff member at Club Monaco (drool...the Club, not the guy) greeted me kindly and said "wow, you look like you're ready to pop!" with a great big friendly smile. Baby OH is apparently the size of a melon - which looks like it's holding itself together quite well....thank you very much.

Baby OH is the size of a Crenshaw Melon - apparently! 

Huh. Ready.to.pop.

As in...explode. An over-sized, distorted, stretched-beyond-capactiy, defies human logic, morbidly fascinating to watch in anticipation of the big-bang......is some of what came to mind.

I know I know, that its my pregnancy brain causing this reaction. Which is why I smiled kindly back and said through gritted teeth "yup, we're getting there!" What I really wanted to say was, "how would YOU like a 6lb CHILD rolling around in your belly and restricting your breathing AND your eating while finding the SWEET spot of pain between your sternum and underwire bra to nestle his knee into?!?" Thank heaven for grace.

I think my pregnancy was so straight forward that I became spoiled. And I think that I've been fairly easy-going about the whole upcoming labour, delivery and parenting thing. Perhaps this is 36 weeks of an uncharacteristically laid back attitude biting me in the bum. It's more likely attributed to hormones.

So I'm nervous, and a bit agitated. And the baby hasn't dropped so I'm short of breath. And hungry. Without going overboard, I've made a list of things we still need for baby OH's arrival and a list of things I need to take care of this week to prepare for being full term on Saturday. I have a Dr's appointment on Friday with Dr Dread (haha, it'd be poetic if that was his real name! I digress...) and hopefully the baby will start to drop soon! Not that I'm ready to go into labour now, BUT, with Christmas approaching, the acceptance that he's going to come out sooner or later, and the planner in me that is rising to the surface again, perhaps the sooner the better!

In the meantime, I whole heartedly look forward to my husband's graduation on Thursday. My mum bought me a fabulous dress for the event and I can't wait to wear it with heels! Thank you ego-boost! (And Black Friday sale prices!) This Crenshaw Melon looks good in that straight fitted dress - pics to follow at next update!


1 comment:

  1. oh how you make me laugh! I can just imagine your face, and the gritted teeth, and what you REALLY wanted to say!
    I can not imagine that you look like you are about to 'pop'.
    I look forward to seeing some graduation pictures (yay for the new dress :) )

    ReplyDelete