Thursday 26 July 2012

Med Update

After a phone call from my (new) doctor's office, I've been given a prescription for some type of antibiotic. I feel quite strongly that avoiding all types of medications, including tylenol and advil during this pregnancy is the safest choice for me. Being told that I have a bacterial infection that can only be cleared with antibiotics does concern me. To be truthful, I was as concerned about the effects of the antibiotics - yes I know they have been cleared for use during pregnancy, but so has aspartame, and tylenol and anti-nausea tablets etc etc - as I was about the infection. And that was before I experienced the side effects of said antibiotic - severe nausea, upset stomach, abdominal cramping and dizziness. Surely there must be another option for clearing up an infection? My word.

Tomorrow morning I have been scheduled for a medical ultrasound and I feel certain that it will be a clear and positive result.

The positive aspect to this miserable situation is that I'm really feeling bolstered by the excellent health care system in Canada. The hospitals are clean and modern, the clinics are clean and efficient and once I'd found a doctor that gave a damn, things started to move along very rapidly. It really eased any anxiety I felt about delivering in a large sterile environment. I actually quite think a large sterile environment will suit me. Especially since there is a gift shop, magazine store, and Second Cup downstairs! We haven't yet seen the newly built delivery and recovery ward but will do at my appointment at the hospital in approximately a month's time.

1 comment:

  1. How did it go?
    Any updates?

    So glad you are feeling confident and more at ease with where you'll be giving birth. I think that makes all the difference in the world.
    Mmm...Second Cup. :)
    Take some pictures when you go for your tour, kay? I'm curious! (Is that weird?)

    ReplyDelete